Monday, June 1, 2009

Evening song.

The wind that sings in the summer leaves is a warm wind. The butterflies have handed over the skies to moths, though some colour still hangs in the world and no stars shine yet in the still blue sky. The bone white moon rides across and silver-blues the sea. The evening is hush, so hush that we hear the aerymice on the wing and the moth wing hum and the leaf song and the grasshopper warbler summoning starsong. Distant cows call, a dog barks across fields. The sea is so still that the surf song is absent from the evening's symphony.
Perhaps summer has come at last.

9 comments:

quiltcat said...

lovely post! we have a few flashes of fire flies...sure indicator that it's a summer night, not some other unexpectedly warm season

JC said...

Nicely Said

Anonymous said...

and i will dream well thinking of the quiet somber sea...
deb

June said...

Lovely and rich sensory impressions.

jamjar said...

Simply beautiful, and I love the word 'aerymice'.

Dougie Donk said...

"Aerymice"! I will never look at our resident Pipistrelles in the same light again - thank you.

Buskitten said...

Hello! Wave wave! Hope you're all well!

Patrice said...

Tales of cats, hooray!

I've always loved ginger cats most - they seem the brightest of felines (and not just in color.)

I'm thrilled to find your blog... Cats and excellent writing - what more could one ask?

Kat said...

Hello! Love your blog! My name is Leia, I am a siamese cat, and I have recently started a brand new blog! I could use some support! Please link me!
http://home.comcast.net/~houseof7cats/site/
Let me know if you do link me, and of course I will link you also!
Many thanks,
Leia