Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Secrets



I am Kiffer and I am happy and this is my new home and I am wondering if I am in cat heaven. I know secrets. I know that under this bucket is a nest of mice, tiny and pink, blind and squeaking.




And I know that this lion's head marks the spot where the great Arthur is buried, giant of a ginger cat who walked and stalked the hills bringing terror to all rats and mice. Noble cat who died too soon, too short a life for one so painted like the sun setting on a clear summer day. When he was alive he burned bright and now he is the stuff of legend.
Martha says you can still hear him if you listen. His voice sings with the call of the buzzard as it wheels, high in the sky.




Tonight is the full moon and we will sing with all the ghost cats of the village, on the ruined cottage walls, in praise of the moon and in praise of the claw and the teeth that are sharp and the eyes that see clear in the dark. And the mice will hide in their homes in fear and awe.

4 comments:

ChrisJ said...

So glad Kiffer is happy and settled in, with real live mice to stalk, too.

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Kiffer, I am's glad you has a good safe fur ever homes now. And you has learned many secrets so far, how many more do yous has?

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Glad to see you blending in well with the new wilds. Baby mice you say? O, to dream. I am house bound due to fox visitors. Take a stroll in the field for me.

A apricot friend from across the pond,
Goldie

Tiggie FOC said...

We all know how cat wisdom and love linger about the places where they were loved.

K., you did well to honor the memory.